Erweiterte Suche

Hagar el-Beida 1. Excavations of the 'Royal' Tumulus (No. 10) in 2010

The complex of tumuli cemeteries around Hagar el-Beida village, including a huge tumulus of unparalleled size in the region (diameter over 30 m), was discovered in 2003. Other tumuli in the complex were explored over the years, but the investigations of the huge mound, dubbed 'royal' owing to its evidently elite character, could not be completed until 2010. The burial chamber turned out to be lined with bricks and to be furnished with a brick-lined shaft. A 2 m high kerb surrounded the grave structure, which was subsequently covered with a mound reaching 5 m in height. The main chamber had been robbed in antiquity, but three ceramic pots, three copperalloy bowls — two with a masterful lotus-flower ornament, a ladle-pot and a small cup were still in place, as were a dozen iron arrowheads of different types. Scarce human skeletal remains were found. Other finds from the fill included copper-alloy rings and beads of faience, quartz, agate and glass. The grave could be attributed to post-Meroitic times, but at least part of the equipment was of Meroitic date.

Titel: Hagar el-Beida 1. Excavations of the 'Royal' Tumulus (No. 10) in 2010
Verfasser: Stępnik, Tomasz
Chłodnicki, Marek
Dokumenttyp: Reihe
Erscheinungsdatum: 2013
Zeitschrift/Reihe: Polish Archaeology in the Mediterranean (PAM) ; Band/Jahrgang: 22
Publikationsort: Warsaw
Schlagworte: HAGAR_EL-BEIDA; AUSGRABUNGSBERICHT; VIERTER_KATARAKT; TUMULUS; MEROITISCHE_ZEIT
Seiten: 309-319
Signatur: Z-PAM
Bearbeitungsstatus: vollständig
Identifier: ISSN 1234-5415
Datensatznummer: 107636
Onlinezugriff: